[Mapserver-dev] New msCloneLayerObj() function

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Feb 18 17:42:09 EST 2003

Steve Lime wrote:

> mapfile.c is kinda messy any how. Functions once intended for internal
> use
> only (e.g. initLayer()) are now used elsewhere so now might be the
> time
> to clean up. Move all object specific files to one spot, and rename
> functions
> to fit the rest of the system, msInitLayer(), msFreeLayer() and
> msCloneLayer.
>
> That's what I would suggest but I'd really like to hear from others on
> the
> topic.

I agree that it would be nice to eventually rework that part to keep
only the parser and the save functions in mapfile.c, and move the
various object constructor and destructor functions to separate files
with proper public function names as you suggested.  However I'm not
convinced that now is a good time to do this if we want to release 3.7
some day.  I would vote for keeping this as a post-3.7 work item as it
doesn't affect functionality of the software, but if someone has time to
tackle that then I have no real objection either.  (Perhaps this should
be filed as a bugzilla enhancement bug?)

My 0.02$

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca