[Mapserver-dev] Re: [Mapserver-users] PHP/mapscript and PNG problem

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Jul 18 13:20:10 EDT 2003

I am moving this to the dev list because I think I have run into a
serious problem that someone needs to evaluate as part of 4.0.

Here is what I think the problem is:  There seems to be two versions
of the libpng api although it is not totally clear to me, but if you
built PHP-4.3.1 with-pdf and with-png then mapserver CGI works fine
generating PNG images but PHP/mapscript dies in $img->saveImage();
call.

If I built PHP-4.3.1 without-pdf and without-png it works fine.

So what this looks like to me is that there is a conflict in the
libpng api calls where PHP loads uses a version that is not
compatible with what is expected by mapserver. Like the same entry
point name but different argument usage - or some similar situation.

I was using MS-3.7-may02-nightly, I tried MS-4.0-beta2, but ran into
other random crashes that I was not able to debug

Also, I built PHP-4.3.2 but it would not even run as a CGI, not sure
what is up with that. It looks like PHP is trying to parse the php
executable as the php script.

It does not escape me that I might (likely?) have some build
environment issue, but since the system is RH8.0 with most stuff
managed via RPMs, I not sure what would be foobar. I will look at
this more today.

I would be open to other thoughts or ideas.
I will forward my configure scripts when I get back to the office.

-Steve