[Mapserver-dev] routing

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Mar 13 07:59:33 EST 2003

Having implemented a routing solution, I would recommend that it be
implemented BESIDE Mapserver and not IN Mapserver. This is because
the data structures it requires are not useful for generating maps
which is Mapservers primary application. Mine works great as a CGI
application that generates both a shapefile and a text file with
driving instruction which are then merged back to a single page
generated by a php application that displays the highlighted route
and map generated by Mapserver. The other benefit is that development
can progress along separate timelines making the release cycle faster
and simpler, not more complex and slower. Oh ya and you will probably
need to develop a geocoder so you can generate route from address to
address. This can also be implemented again as a separate CGI
application. As I said you then write a simple php application that
glues the geocoder, router and mapserver together.

If you want to see a demo of this working check out my demo pages at

http://imaptools.com/

-Steve Woodbridge