[Mapserver-dev] OT: RH8, Apache2, cgi-bin strangeness

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Mar 13 22:10:49 EST 2003

Hi guys,

I have run into a very strange problem on RH 8.0 with with apache 2
I have a C program (my geocoder) that runs fine in a user shell but
generates:

Server error!
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete
your request.
Error message:
Premature end of script headers: geo
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster
Error 500

when run a via the browser. But here is the strangeness if I put the
program in a shell script it does not generate any errors. Like this

#!/bin/sh
geo

then calling

http://host/cgi-bin/geo?ZIP=76119&FUZZY=on&DEBUG=1
http://host/cgi-bin/geo2?ZIP=76119&FUZZY=on&DEBUG=1

the first error out the second runs fine!

Oh and the first runs fine under apache 1.3.

Anybody got a clue on this???

-Steve W.