[Mapserver-dev] Re: [Mapserver-users] antialiasing in GD

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Mar 31 15:06:07 EST 2003

I was thinking the same thing, especially on timing. I can live with 4.0
with
a release date close to the user group meeting. I don't think it's
worth rushing
a 3.7 release out the door in the meantime.

Steve

Steve Lime wrote:

> Since this real new I haven't had the chance to look closely at the
> implementation. I would imagine we'd just add an antialias flag to
the
> STYLE object. This is a major addition to GD, one that should be
added
> to MapServer prior to the 3.7 release in my opinion.
>
> Developers, this really makes GD 2.0 attractive to users and along
with
> 24-bit support and the freetype fixes warrants dumping GD 1.x
support.
> What do folks think?

OK with me, I think we (DM Solutions) could live with GD2 only.  We
resolved most of the issues that had been forcing us to continue to
use
GD 1.8.

BTW, the more I think about it, the more I think this upcoming release
should be called 4.0.  There are enough new features or major changes
warrant it: 24 bits support, GDAL outputformat support, switch from GD
1.x to GD 2, vector output support (SWF, PDF, GML for WFS, and things
in
place for SVG, etc.), and I'm sure I forgot many.

I know we've been calling it 3.7dev for quite a while, but perhaps we
should consider calling it 4.0... and plan to release it before the
user
meeting?  What do you think?

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca