[Mapserver-dev] Shape bounds

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Nov 13 11:01:39 EST 2003

Hi Folks:  Looking for opinions. In mapprimative.c lives a function
msAddLine that is the primary code for building shapes other than
reading directly from shapefiles. That code does not maintain a shape
bounding box. So should the bounding box be maintained:

  1) withing msAddLine
  2) by the code making repetitive calls to msAddLine

Ultimately I just want to make sure that an accurate bounding box is
available.  Option 1 centralizes the responsibility, but option 2 is
better for performance. After all, why set a bounding box until the full
shape is done. I'm leaning towards 2 and just fixing on part of the
label cache code.

steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager