[Mapserver-dev] MetadataURL

bartvde at xs4all.nl bartvde at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 15 04:29:54 EDT 2003

Hi list,

in the WMS specs (starting at 1.1.0 if I am not mistaken) there is an
option to link a layer to its metadata using the MetadataURL element.

I am very much in need of such a parameter for my Mapserver/Chameleon
application.

I suppose supporting this would require an additional WMS_ variable for
the layer metadata object in the map file.

I do not have any insight in the consequences of changes in the Map file
format (php mapscript etc.?), and I suppose this would require everybody
to be in favour the change.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this, or are there plans to incorporate
this in the mapfile format?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Best regards,
Bart

<!-- A Map Server may use zero or more MetadataURL elements to offer
detailed,
standardized metadata about the data underneath a particular layer. The type
attribute indicates the standard to which the metadata complies. Two types
are defined at present: 'TC211' = ISO TC211 19115; 'FGDC' = FGDC CSDGM. The
format element indicates how the metadata is structured. -->
<!ELEMENT MetadataURL (Format, OnlineResource) >
<!ATTLIST MetadataURL
type ( TC211 | FGDC ) #REQUIRED>