[Mapserver-dev] OGC ServiceExceptions and invalid layers

Paul Spencer spencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Oct 22 10:47:56 EDT 2003

All,

the purpose of this email is to solicit feedback on how to handle
exceptions returned from OGC services like WMS and WFS.  Currently,
MapServer WMS and WFS client code obtains the result of a WMS or WFS
call and uses it as the source for a layer.  If the remote WMS/WFS
returns an error as an XML document (ServiceExceptionReport), this
causes the layer to be invalid and causes MapServer to fail to render
the map completely.

With WMS, the only option appears to be requesting errors as INIMAGE,
which is not always desirable.  With WFS, this is not an option (I
think, please correct me if I am wrong).

This issue has come up (again) because we are beginning a series of
projects involving WFS and filtering (newly added by Assefa).  The
filter support in MapServer is somewhat picky about allowable filter
types because of differences between the OGC filter model and
MapServer's internal filtering model.  When attempting to apply
dynamically generated filters, quite often we are experiencing service
exceptions that relate to these differences.  We are trying to build the
filters correctly and detect errors before the filter is applied, but
there are always going to be cases that are either very difficult or
impossible to catch.

I would like to propose that a different mechanism be put in place for
handling layer errors such as this.  I am really only concerned about
handling OGC service exceptions, but if this is applicable beyond the
OGC stuff then that would be great (also why I am emailing the whole list).

The desired functionality is to have the various OGC clients to detect a
ServiceException and push the information onto the error stack for
presentation to the user, then disable the layer and allow the remaining
layers to render normally.

Something like this is already done for WMS timeouts (when a layer takes
too long to return a result).

Comments/questions/flames welcome.

Cheers,

Paul