[Mapserver-dev] Couple of code cleanup questions...

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Oct 23 17:01:28 EDT 2003

Steve Lime wrote:

>   - fixing the member names in the mapservObj? They are named unlike
> anything else in the code. There are a few vars in there
> that have very cryptic names (e.g. LRN). This would involve some
> changes to mapserv.c, mapserv_fcgi.c and maptemplate.c. I don't know
> how prevelant this object is in the scripting envs.

No problem for me.  I don't think any scripting languages use that
object anyway.

>   - fixing string function names? Again a real mixed bag, some use
> msString.. others are like gsub. I'd like to standardize on msString...

no problem

>   - fixing behavior of split function (soon to be msStringSplit). At
> present it ignores consecutive delimeters. This presents a problem with
> CSV
> joined tables where ,, actually means a field is empty. I'd like to
> change the behavior to return an empty string.

While you're at it, I would like to that you also add an option to
honour strings.  Actually, there is a function called
CSLTokenizeString2() gdal/port/cpl_string.c that does that and more and
that you could simply copy after a few small changes.

BTW, I would like to suggest that we file bugs for each item to keep a
trace of why and when changes were made.  This is more a general
suggestion not specific to those 3 items.  I try to use bugzilla as much
as possible to keep track of changes.

And since we're talking of bugzilla. We I have recently modified the
components ownership in bugzilla for the components maintained at DM
Solutions (PHP MapScript, WMS, WFS, OGR, ...) so that they are no longer
assigned to myself by default but instead they are assigned to
mapserver-bugs at dmsolutions which is an email alias that goes to myself
and Assefa.  This way as soon as a new bug is entered for one of our
components we are both informed.

What would you think of extending this to all MapServer bugzilla
components?  We could create a mapserver-bugs mailing list (or email
alias) to which all developers would subscribe and the ownership of all
bugzilla components would be assigned to this alias by default.  This
way all developers would be notified when new bugs are entered.

  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca