[Mapserver-dev] install-force and libmap.so

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Apr 5 03:32:06 EDT 2004

Folks,

For similar reasons to what I mentioned for the Windows makefile, I
had a need to build libmap.a into a shared library and link the various
MapServer utilities against that.

I have modified Makefile.in to include a libmap.so target, just using
"g++ -shared" which is fine on Linux or really GNU binutils systems but likely
won't work elsewhere.  However, it is optional and by default builds should
proceed as they always have. I also made it possible (via commandline macro
override) to force this shared library to be used when linking the various
executables.   I use the following command to build a shared library version
of the various executables.

   make EXE_LDFLAGS="-L. -lmap" EXTRA_DEFAULT=libmap.so all

I have also added a force-install target and some macros at the top of the
file for controlling where things go.  Once again, my intent was to not
disrupt existing logic (the install target still just reports how the user
should copy mapserv to their cgi-bin directory), but to make it relatively
easy to get the behaviour I wanted.  I can imagine this approach also being
desirable for others building unix distributions of stuff.

Let me know if I have broken anything.

The resulting MapServer build (with no MapScript support) should soon be
available as a Linux OpenEV_FW 1.7.1 release.