[Mapserver-dev] WMS and LAYERS= vs. STATUS Behaviour

Jean-Henry Berevoescu bjh at globexplorer.com
Fri Apr 30 06:00:04 EDT 2004

Daniel Morissette wrote:

> Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
>
>> I think users of Mapserver should be discouraged to use STATUS
>> DEFAULT in combination with the WMS interface. The best way to
>> discourage them is to provide a warning in the capabilities XML in my
>> opinion.
>>

> Well, do we want to discourage them that badly?  There may be
> legitimate uses of status default as mentioned in a previous email
> (for a copyright notice or a watermark for instance), and in this case
> the warning could become a real pain.

As noted in previous mails of this thread, there are indeed legitimate
uses of this feature and for comercial uses Copyrights, Watermarks and
Logos are in most cases I am familiar with absolutely necessary.

> There have been discussions before about adding something to prevent
> some layers from being listed/served via WMS.  Perhaps we could use
> this in combination with your warning idea??? (i.e. we produce the
> warning for status default, and if someone really knows what they're
> doing then they can hide their layers that have status default to
> avoid the warning.)

I was wondering if the DEFAULT notion is not actually misleading (I was
definitely interpreting it the wrong way when I first read about it).
Maybe leaving the DEFAULT as a deprecated value and adding one that
conveys the meaning through a significant name (e.g. ALWAYSON) will do a
better job in the future.

Jean