[Mapserver-dev] MapServer CVS access and long term support

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Aug 5 14:51:57 EDT 2004

The email about the mapmygis.c patch that was sent a few minutes ago on
this list brings up an issue that is getting more important as more
developers are contributing to the software: long term support. It's
normal for people to come and go, that's life, but we need to make sure
we don't end up with too much orphan code with no active maintainer.

I think that if you get CVS commit privileges then you also have to make
a committment to supporting your contributions in the long run and/or
fixing any side-effects they may create. You also take responsibility
for anything you commit to CVS on behalf of someone else (i.e.patches).
If for some reason you cannot continue to support your code then you
should find someone to take over responsibility for it. If nobody wants
to take over responsibility for the code then you have a serious
problem. You cannot just expect that the other developers will grab all
the lose ends if you walk away, we're all busy enought already.

What do you think? Is this asking too much from developers before they
are allowed to contribute? I think we should have a page somewhere that
explains what the rules are for contributing to the software and this
would be one of them.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca