[Mapserver-dev] MapServer CVS access and long term support

Attila Csipa plists at prometheus.org.yu
Fri Aug 6 07:08:21 EDT 2004

On Thursday 05 August 2004 20:51, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> I think that if you get CVS commit privileges then you also have to make
> a committment to supporting your contributions in the long run and/or
> fixing any side-effects they may create. You also take responsibility
> for anything you commit to CVS on behalf of someone else (i.e.patches).

The little problem is that sometimes the developers, or code cannot be split
into an active/inactive category. The mentioned mygis patch is my case - I do
plan on maintaining the code, it's just that my work is such that I cannot do
it on a daily basis, so sometimes my reactions might be a few days, on
extreme cases weeks late, but hopefully not nonexistent. So what am I, an
active developer or not ? Also, sometimes the code that has been orphaned is
simply too important to be left out. Suppose (god forbid) OGR development
stops. Does that mean that all the users that used OGR should be left in the
dark with old versions until someone else picks up active development ? I
agree that by leaving everything in you are cluttering up the project, but
you cannot leave everything orphaned out either, that has to be a valid
developer choice, based on the number of users who (do not) use the code in
question.