[Mapserver-dev] Thread safety question

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Wed Feb 11 12:54:29 EST 2004

Since I'm a fan of thread-safety for MapServer, I checked it out:

http://www.hwaci.com/sw/lemon/

NOT Bison compatible unfortunately ... But re-entrant and thread-safe.

Also, it is part of an actively maintained OSS project, which is a definite
plus.

Cheers,
J.F.

-----Original Message-----
From: mapserver-dev-admin at lists.gis.umn.edu
[mailto:mapserver-dev-admin at lists.gis.umn.edu]On Behalf Of Steve Lime
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 12:17 PM
To: nharding at extendthereach.com; mapserver-dev at lists.gis.umn.edu
Subject: Re: [Mapserver-dev] Thread safety question

You are correct, the lexer produced by flex is not thread safe. Bison
can create a thread-safe parser so if we could find (or write *yuck*) a
thread-safe lexer that intergrates with bison we'd be ok. Someone
mention a lexer called lemon as an option. I've not had time to pursue
though.

Steve

>>> Ned Harding <nharding at extendthereach.com> 2/10/2004 4:22:58 PM >>>
I noticed in msEvalExpression --- case(MS_EXPRESSION) --- that the
lexer is
being used.  Does that imply that a map that used this type of
expression
would not be thread safe as it is currently written?

Ned.