[Mapserver-dev] SWIG MapScript docs

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Feb 16 16:34:18 EST 2004

Hi,

We often get the comment from people who try to use Perl MapScript or
other SWIG-based MapScript that the docs are out of date or incomplete
and that what's there is hard to use. Is there something we could do to
improve that and make sure that the SWIG-based MapScript docs are always
up to date?

In the case of PHP MapScript we have a mapscript/php3/README which is
used as the base for the website docs and as an ultimate reference for
all PHP MapScript stuff. This README is updated by the developers
everytime we change something to PHP MapScript so it's always up to date.

Perhaps the same could be done for the SWIG MapScript: we could create a
MAPSCRIPT.TXT file (or equivalent) in the mapscript directory besides
the mapscript.i file, and everytime mapscript.i is modified, developers
would be required to update the documentation file.  Then users could at
least go to that file to make sure they get the latest and greatest docs.

Just a thought... but I'm sure users would welcome that...

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca