[Mapserver-dev] SWIG MapScript docs

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Feb 18 12:20:12 EST 2004

Sean Gillies wrote:

> Does Bugzilla support any sort of triggers that will free us from double
> bug
> entry?  The underlying database (MySQL?) would, yes?

I don't think it supports that directly.  However there are a few ways
to accomodate what we need:

1- We could enable the QA-contact feature and then set the QA contact
for PHP MapScript to be the SWIG MapScript maintainer, and vice-versa.

2- We could use an email alias as the default owner for all MapScript
and PHP MapScript bugs.  Then we include all MapScript developers in
that alias and everytime a bug is entered for those components then all
developers receive a copy.  FYI we already do that for all MapServer
components that DMSG maintains: all our MapServer bugs are assigned by
default to mapserver-bugs at dmsolutions dot ca, this way everyone who
needs to know at our end is informed when a new bug in our stuff is
reported.

3- If the "supportwatchers" option was enabled, then I could set myself
up to watch the owner of SWIG-mapscript bugs and vice-versa.  When you
set yourself up to watch someone else, then you receive copies of all
bugzilla email notifications that this person receives...so you're aware
of all bugs that they've worked on.  Combined with an email alias
specific to mapscript bugs, that would allow anyone who is interested to
watch mapscript bugs.

I think #2 would be the best way to go (possibly combined with #3). We
could even go further and use a common email alias as default owner for
all MapServer bugs. That email alias would include at least the main
developers, so that we are aware of all bugs that are entered.  We use
email aliases per project with bugzilla this way internally at DMSG and
that works very well. You can also see an example of that with Chameleon
bugs (http://maptools.org/bugzilla/) which are assigned to
chameleon-dev at ... by default and anyone who wants to be notified of
chameleon bugs can subscribe to that developers mailing list.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca