[Mapserver-dev] Proposal for mapscript documentation using Re structuredtext

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Thu Feb 19 10:14:36 EST 2004

J.F.,

I don't think I made my proposal very clear.

Since SWIG doesn't, and won't in the foreseeable future according to
David Beazley, generate documentation from source, developers would
maintain the mapscript.txt file in RST format as the next best thing.

The DocBook stuff would be derived from mapscript.txt and documenters
would expand on it with usage examples and the @$%->{""} noise of
their favorite language. :)

Norman Vine's comments really made sense to me.  Developers need a
human readable plain text document.  In a perfect world, or a world
where we abandoned SWIG and wrote pure Perl/PHP/Python/Ruby mapscript
modules, we would just document the source well and that would do.
With SWIG, however, we seem to need an auxiliary document.

I am not saying that we ditch DocBook!  Only that for this particular
issue, it does not appear to me to be the way to go.

cheers,
Sean