[Mapserver-dev] Re: time support

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Jan 6 13:00:42 EST 2004

My plan is to allow arbitrary fields to be added to the tileindex, and
then filter
against whatever you need- startdate-enddate, sensor name or whatever.
Sounds
like to meet your needs we'd need to generalize tiles futher by
allowing non-shapefile
tile indexes. I could see moving TILEINDEX into it's own object, almost
a mini-layer.
So you could do something like:

TILEINDEX
  DATA ...
  CONNECTION ...
  FILTER ...
  FILTERITEM ...
  TILEITEM ...
END

Other ideas?

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "David W. Graham" <dgraham at i3.com> 1/5/2004 5:18:26 PM >>>
Steve:

Just catching up on the conversation.  It is very timely for us at
i-cubed.
:) I am trying to find a way to stream (WMS) a series of tiles that
will be
updated quite often (atleast every 2 weeks) with new versions.  All
versions
must be available for streaming.

We are looking at a Postgres (Postgis) solution.  But as I look at
this
converstion, it seems that a solution similarly to the one we are
looking at
would probably be quite useful to the temporal discussion.

My solution is simply to add a date field to the tileindex (.i.e there
will
be overlapping polygons with differing date and location attributes).
Then
move the tile index into PostGIS so I can keep the massive flood of
data we
are potentially looking at under control.

It will likely be a mapscript hack.

Dave

David W. Graham

Director of Application Development