[Mapserver-dev] Re: time support

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Jan 14 00:13:58 EST 2004

Any comments out there? I kinda need to move swiftly...

>>> "Steve Lime" <steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us> 01/12/04 11:27 PM >>>
I've no problem with DB sources. They are efficient enough not to need
tiling. The issue standing in my way is whether to create a new
TILEINDEX object or to add additional parameters to deal with filters.

The positive with a TILEINDEX object is that essentially no new keywords
would be necessary. We'd simply re-use a bunch that are already defined.
Plus there's lots of room for flexiblity in the future- say for
projections, non-shapefle index or even options to "view" the tile

The negative is that this would break existing mapfiles using tiles.
That's not exactly uncommon.

Personally I favor the new object. Thoughts?

Steve

>>> "David W. Graham" <dgraham at i3.com> 01/12/04 5:11 PM >>>
Steve:

Your suggestion for a TILEINDEX object would be very useful to anyone
with

really large archives.  I am quite aware that using a shapefile with
will aways be faster than a database.  But some projects do lend
themselves
to database management.  We already have several archive projects where
we
are managing thousands of raster images that are getting updates
regularly.
As it is now, we only stream contiguous data sets.  They are a small
fraction of what is available from the archives.

What do others think of such a change?

Dave

David W. Graham

Director of Application Development