[Mapserver-dev] Re: time support

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Jan 14 12:16:17 EST 2004

I could create a single new keyword (e.g. TILES) and use the older
keywords to
populate members of the new object. That's how styles work so that
older map
files don't break. In effect:

TILEINDEX 'foo'

would be the same as

TILES
  DATA 'foo'
END

To take advantage of filtering you'd have to move to the TILES object.
The only
side effect would be that mapscript would break since
$layer->{tileindex} isn't
real anymore. That was the same case with styles.

This seems a reasonable compromise to me anyway.

Steve

Steve Lime wrote:
> Any comments out there? I kinda need to move swiftly...

I am concerned by the fact that the new tileindex object would break
existing mapfiles.  Could we stick to shapefile tileindexes for this
release for now, since we don't have much time anyway, and perhaps in a

later release we could move a tileindex object and support tile indexes

in any format?

I suppose the main drawback of this approach would be that we would
have
to create TILEFILTER/TILEFILTERITEM which would have to be deprecated
later when we create the tileindex object.

I dunno.... I think we should try to avoid breaking older mapfiles
unless we really have to... that's always a pain for users to upgrade
when we break the mapfile format.

  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca