[Mapserver-dev] How to control information density by location

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Jan 15 17:41:00 EST 2004

Hi all,

I was thinking about the time indexes Steve is building and wondering
if there isn't something similar that could be done to help control
information density by area location.

For example, when adding zipcode labels to a map they are very spare
in the mid-west compared to say NYC. In fact, there are lots of very
sparse areas and likewise very dense areas. So the standard response
is "Well that is what the label cache is for!". Well yes and no,
These zipcode label were being written as large labels without using
the labelcache as background text then being over written by streets
and annotation. This looked very good at 150K in rural areas, but had
to be reduced to 25K in urban areas to look good, other wise all the
labels collided and were not readable. I could envision doing
something similar for county labels and other labels that add some
context, but are really background information and not the foreground
primary information being presented on the map.

So having a second or a "named" label cache with the ability say draw
this cache now in the map file would probably work.

Or a layer scheme where you could say if the map overlaps this
polygon or rectangle set the MIN/MAX SCALES for LAYER abc to
[ABC_MIN], [ABC_MAX]. this has the down side of needing multiple
objects to assign values to multiple layers or lots of attributes
associated to the object.

Or may be to have a TILEINDEX that specifies that a mapfile fragment
to be used for a given area or more generally for a given condition.
This seems similar to the Time indexes but it would be area indexes.

I guess of all of these having an auxiliary label cache would
probably be the simplest solution to the specific problem. but the
alternative my provide more general solutions that could also solve
other problems. I am trying to keep this in the mapfile and not try
to solve this via mapscript.

Does this make sense to anyone else?
Would something like this be generally useful?

-Steve W.