[Mapserver-dev] Seeking Clue on MapServer Compiler Error, GDAL

Barbara Zack bz at cesmail.net
Thu Jul 15 17:51:00 EDT 2004

This is probably beyond obvious to the cluefull, but it isn't to me. I have
no idea what information I need to provide to get help, so please let me
know if this isn't enough. I'd prefer to get 4.2 working, but at this point
I'd be delighted to get any version installed. Details below. Thank you!

Barbara

======================

Debian sid 2.6.7-1

Initially I installed Paul Baker's Debian package of MapServer. I couldn't
get the demo to work. I made the erroneous assumption that something was
wrong with the MapServer installation. I'm now about 99% certain the problem
was operator error. I uninstall MapServer and downloaded the 4.2 source.
Make generates these errors:

/usr/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to `typeinfo for XMLEntityDecl'
/usr/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to `XMLString::transcode(char
const*)'
/usr/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
`SAX2XMLReaderImpl::SAX2XMLReaderImpl[in-charge]()'
/usr/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to `typeinfo for SAXParseException'
/usr/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
`SAXParseException::SAXParseException[in-charge](SAXParseException const&)'
/usr/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to `typeinfo for XMLException'
/usr/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to `XMLEntityDecl::~XMLEntityDecl
[not-in-charge]()'
/usr/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to `XMLPlatformUtils::Initialize()'
/usr/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
`SAXParseException::~SAXParseException [in-charge]()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [shp2img] Error 1

Since I was pretty sure I'd figured out what I was doing wrong with the
demo, I reinstalled Paul Baker's package. Now mapserv -v gives me this:

./mapserv: relocation error: /usr/lib/libgdal.so.1: undefined symbol:
_ZTI13XMLE

Quite obviously the problem is with libgdal.so. It is where it is in
/usr/lib as expected. I ran ldd mapserv and saw nothing obviously wrong.