[Mapserver-dev] Seeking Clue on MapServer Compiler Error, GDAL

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 15 18:16:13 EDT 2004

Barbara Zack wrote:
> This is probably beyond obvious to the cluefull, but it isn't to me. I have
> no idea what information I need to provide to get help, so please let me
> know if this isn't enough. I'd prefer to get 4.2 working, but at this point
> I'd be delighted to get any version installed. Details below. Thank you!
>
> Barbara
>
> ======================
>
> Debian sid 2.6.7-1
>
> Initially I installed Paul Baker's Debian package of MapServer. I couldn't
> get the demo to work. I made the erroneous assumption that something was
> wrong with the MapServer installation. I'm now about 99% certain the problem
> was operator error. I uninstall MapServer and downloaded the 4.2 source.
> Make generates these errors:
>
> /usr/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to `typeinfo for XMLEntityDecl'
> /usr/lib/libgdal.so: undefined reference to `XMLString::transcode(char
> const*)'

Barbara,

This stuff is related to GDAL depending on Xerces-C and it apparently
not being found, or else not being the right version.

My advice would be to clean the packages off your system and build everything
(GDAL, and Mapserver) from source.  Packages are great, except when they don't
work and then you are hosed.