[Mapserver-dev] Re: Rendering engine enhancements

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Jul 19 15:44:48 EDT 2004

Steve Lime wrote:
> I think it's a good idea but I think we still need both. MapServer
> vector symbols are turned into
> bitmaps on-the-fly and then used as tiled fill (or brush). Consequently
> (as Frank pointed out) only a few
> hatching patterns are possible using this scheme.

Is the problem only related to the white corners you would get when
rotating the symbol or is there something else I didn't think of. When
did Frank send that message you refer to? I don't remember seeing it.

> A hatched symbol type
> could still leverage
> brushes and patterns (basically anything you could do with a line
> symbol now)...

ah ok... that would be nice.

> I believe rotated PIXMAPs are already supported. If I recall Brent
> Frasier and his staff contributed
> that patch a while back.

I didn't know we could rotate PIXMAP symbols, I'll have to give that a try.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca