[Mapserver-dev] Why not add a PROJECT to the WEB object

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Jul 21 11:19:40 EDT 2004

The CGI application already has some capabilities to work in lat/lon
even if the output projection is something different. For example both
mapxy and mapext CGI parameters have code associated with them to auto
detect lat/lon values and automatically convert them to the output
projection. This means that one could initialize applications or request
imagery based on lat/lon instead of the output projection. Not as
flexible as what you're suggesting but certainly simpler and already
available.

Steve

>>> Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> 7/20/2004 5:03:04 PM

Hi all,

Here is some food for thought.

I see occasional questions posted about people wanting to use whatever

projection for their output image, but often want to work in lat/long
in
CGI mode. Our normal answer is to have them work in the output
projection.

I was thinking that it should be simple to add a PROJECTION object to
the WEB object that would cause the CGI input coordinates to be treated

as if they were from that WEB PROJECTION space instead of whatever the

OUTPUT PROJECTION space is.

This would allow you to change the output projection on the fly without

having to change all the assumption in your mapping applications about

coordinate values and projection space.

I think this would also work out nicely in mapscript. Unless I am
missing something here this seems like it would be a real value added.

Any thoughts, comments, bashing on this are welcome.

-Steve W.