[Mapserver-dev] creating some default symbols

Yewondwossen Assefa assefa at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jun 16 10:07:56 EDT 2004

I am also all for it to add predefined symbols. Right now in the sld
code, I do create all the well known symbols, but they are created as
needed (if the symbol is referenced in the sld). It would be great to
have them all the time. Another need (from the sld point of vue), is
there is a second set of symbols created where the fill parameter is set
to true so you would have a _circle and a _circle_filled for example. I
would also suggest to add these symbols if it make sense.

Later,

Paul Spencer wrote:

> I'm pretty sure Assefa added this for SLD support so the symbols are
> probably already built in.  I suspect he used names like
> 'sld_mark_square' for them, though.  It might be nice if all this
> symbology stuff was consolidated :>
>
> Sean Gillies wrote:
>
>> On Jun 15, 2004, at 4:59 PM, Steve Lime wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone see a problem with creating some basic symbols (circle, square,
>>> triangle, star) when the symbolFileObj is initialized? Users could
>>> reference them by names like _circle or _star so as not to break old
>>> apps. Then we could do things like using the built-in circle in cases
>>> when a user specifies a size but no symbol.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>

>> According to the SLD spec, well known symbol names are "square",
>> "circle",
>> "triangle", "star", "cross", and "x".
>>
>> Sean

Assefa Yewondwossen