[Mapserver-dev] Any experience with SQL Relay?

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Fri Jun 18 13:08:10 EDT 2004

Sean Gillies wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2004, at 10:44 AM, Zamil Murji wrote:
>
>> Hi Sean,
>>
>> Before you go to far with SQL Relay, here is an interesting note that
>> I came across in the FAQs.
>>
>> Does SQL Relay support XXX's specific features?
>>
>> Database   Queries Bind Variables Procedural Language Auto-Commit
>> PostgreSQL Yes     Scalar Input   No                  No
>>
>> Now I'm no PostGIS guru but I'm pretty sure that it makes heavy use of
>> plpgsql (procedural language for Postgres).
>> If that is the case, then SQL relay would be out of the question
>> because it does not support Procedural Language for postgres.
>>
>> I hope that kind of makes sense. Here is the link to their FAQ:
>> http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/sqlrelay/faq.html#features

Its unlikely that there will be problems using SQL Relay with PostGIS -
   It should be just passing the query off to the database.

The only problem that might be a problem is the use of Binary Cursors -
I dont know how SQL Relay manages them.  Mapserver's connection to
postgis is through a binary cursor.

dave