[Mapserver-dev] Generic tiling (for shapefiles and rasters)...

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Mar 10 08:48:08 EST 2004

On 9 Mar 2004 at 22:49, Steve Lime wrote:

> The modifications I'm talking about should have no effect on file-based
> versus directory-based access. The location (or TILEITEM) contents are
> applied to the layer that is tiled regardless of the where the tileindex
> is defined. Your old mapfile would still work. You could re-write as
>
> LAYER
>   NAME tiger-tile
>   DATA tiger-tile
> END
> LAYER
>    TILEINDEX "tiger-tile"
>    DATA "roads"
> END
> LAYER
>   TILEINDEX "tiger-tile"
>   DATA "waterpoly"
> END
>
> A bit more verbose but now you can do filtering within your tiles. For
> example, you could take a single county out of production. Or you
> could store multiple years worth of data within the same tile and could
> specify a particular year at runtime.

Would achieve the filtering using the FILTERITEM in the tile layer?
Could you use CLASS say on a polygon layer where you colored the
polygons based on year, for example?

> Will you be willing to test?

Yes, if I have time I would be happy to. Work has got me running flat
out but I have a special case of needing only one 1 states worth of
Tiger data, and just made a special tileindex for that. It would have
been nice is we could have just filtered the existing index and had
one less file to worry about keeping up to date. I should be able to
adapt this mapfile to a test.

-Steve