[Mapserver-dev] Re: Working PHP Mapscript module produced with SWiG?!

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Mar 18 13:56:11 EST 2004

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Congratulations Mark, I am frankly surprised at how much the SWIG PHP4
> support has improved since my last try. I did manage to compile a
> working .so last year, but "working" is a loose use of the work. Many of
> the functions did not work, and subobjects were flaky at best.

That's great news!  I won't have time to play with that in the near
future, but if someone has a chance to test it more, then it would be
interesting to know whether most of the objects and methods seem to work
fine.

> Is there an implication here that it might be possible to compile a php
> version of mapscript without the php source tree now? This could make
> rpm'i'fication of a swig'ed php mapscript much more straightforward.

It should be possible to compile the current version of php_mapscript
without the full PHP source tree, we only need the php_config.h and the
Zend headers which should be available in an installed copy of PHP.
It's just that I never had the time to fix the configure and makefiles
to work that way.

BTW, it would be great if the same could be done for compiling PostGIS
without the postgres source.  ;) ;)  Or has it been done already?

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca