[Mapserver-dev] Serious conflict with other php packages

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Fri May 21 18:00:34 EDT 2004

On May 21, 2004, at 1:31 PM, Rodrigues, Joseph wrote:

> Hi,
> I am posting this to all developers to alert you of a know conflict
> with
> a php package known as Chartdirector.  This is a commercial product
> that
> is for charting graphs in php and although it is commercial, it is
> freely available to use with 100% functionality.
>
> The known problem:
>  Chartdirector has a Class called 'Line' and 'Layer' and causes a
> conflict with php as phpmapscript has classes with the same name.  The
> result is neither works without changing the one class name.
>
> I use Mapserver with phpmapscript to build charts on the fly and graph
> them using Chartdirector.  I want to suggest a name change to MSLine
> and
> MSLayer or anything else of your choice to differentiate from such
> generic names as Line and Layer.  I made a similar suggestion to Peter
> Kwan of Chartdirector.
>
> http://www.advsofteng.com/
>
> Thank you
> Joseph Rodrigues

I just posted a solution to the Bugzilla, and now I realize that I don't
know what I was talking about.

PHP 4 has no namespaces?!?!?!  How the hell do you tie together
different
packages from different developers?  Craziness ... good that this is
fixed
in PHP 5.

I would be OK with changing the name of Line, but only to something that
is a better and more meaningful name, such as FeaturePolyLine, or for OO
language modules, Feature::PolyLine.

Sean

--
Sean Gillies