Is Mapserver case sensitive for the WMS parameters

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at IKF.NLH.NO
Tue Nov 9 10:42:37 EST 2004

I was wondering if Mapserver handles WMS parameters correctly.
Last week I had some problems that indicates that Mapserver
downcases the value of the FORMAT parameter of GetMap.
Unfortunately(?), the WMS server I was testing this against
has been upgraded, so I cannot reproduce the error.

As I remember it:
I was on a rather new version of Mapserver (a build from last
week).
I tried to include a layer from a WMS 1.1.0 server, but I got
problems with the FORMAT of the GetMap request (other WMS
sources were OK).
The capabilities document of the external WMS server listed
the possible map formats as GIF, PNG, JPEG, ... (upper case,
not mime).
In my mapserver layer I therefore specified "FORMAT=PNG" (upper
case) in the GetMap request string. This failed with an
"Unsupported format" error.
I tested this "manually", and everything worked fine with
uppercase "PNG", but the exception was returned with lowercase
("png").

In the WMS specifications (1.1.1) the following is written about
case sensitivity (the same for 1.1.0?):
* 6.4.1 Parameter Ordering and Case
* Parameter names shall not be case sensitive, but parameter
* values shall be case sensitive.
* In this document, parameter names are typically shown in
* uppercase for typographical clarity, not as a requirement.

Håvard Tveite
--
IMT, NLH