[Fwd: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-DEV] single classed layers and GetLegendGraphic]

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at EC.GC.CA
Tue Nov 9 10:52:01 EST 2004

RULE makes me nervous because it's a MapServer specific which a WMS
client doesn't necessarily know at runtime.

This is what I propose:

- update GetLegendGraphic to:
 - print out legend icons of one layer as *just* an icon if there's only
one CLASS object
  - code change needed to handle this
 - print out legend icons of one layer with text of rule names if
there's more than one CLASS object
  - this is present behaviour -- no code change required
 - implement a VendorSpecific Capability called "GetLegend" which acts
like mode=legend, and prints out 'full' legends of multiple layers,
which includes titles for layers with icons

VERSION=1.1.1
SERVICE=WMS
REQUEST=GetLegend
FORMAT=<supported_image_format>
LAYERS=<layer_list>
STYLES=<style_list>

This way, one has the choice for both.  This eliminates the RULE
scenario from GetLegendGraphic.

Comments?

..Tom