single classed layers and GetLegendGraphic

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at IKF.NLH.NO
Tue Nov 9 11:08:14 EST 2004

Yewondwossen Assefa wrote:

> Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] wrote:

I do not know the specifications in detail, but in my opinion,
the behaviour of the GetLegendGraphic request should not depend
on the number of classes in a layer.

By returning the graphic signature together with the describing
text, the legend can be useful for all cases.
By returning the graphic signature only, it is possible for
"powerful" clients to add the explaining text for layers with
only one class, but for layers with several classes, this will
not be possible. For less powerful clients, the graphics without
text is useless.

We should only change the behaviour if it is in conflict with
the specifications.

--
Håvard Tveite
IMT, NLH