SDE raster support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Sat Nov 13 13:14:40 EST 2004

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Wouldn't one of the major benefits be the tie-in to connection pooling
> via mapsde?  Speaking from bitter experience, SDE without connection
> pooling is worth less than a bucket of warm spit. :)
> Or can (will) GDAL connections take advantage of the pool now too?
> Paul

Paul,

GDAL does not utilize MapServer level connection pooling currently; however,
it does - in some cases - implement connection pooling internally.  I am not
adverse to improving MapServer/GDAL connection pooling integration for drivers
where it would provide a benefit.  However, this is one of several reasons why
integrating the SourcePole SDE Raster support into GDAL would be a substantial
job.