win32 MapServer builds

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Nov 23 12:17:35 EST 2004

Assefa,

I am intrested in reworking the default configuration of the mapserver
win32 builds somewhat with the following in mind:

  o Default to assuming folks are building against the bgd GD DLLs with all the
    stuff they include.
  o Disable (comment out) all the optional packages (ming, pdf, gdal, curl, etc)
    by default.
  o Move OPTFLAGS and LDFLAGS from makefile.vc to nmake.opt since they
    frequently need to be changed.
  o Use /MD by default, since many support libraries like GDAL and PROJ.4 are
    built that way by default.  Statically linking proj.lib in (that was built
    with /MD) with a non-/MD mapserver is bad karma.

In general, I would like to make building a simple MapServer build alot easier,
and then let people add stuff to that rather than starting with lots of stuff
broken.

Also, using the pre-built GD makes *alot* of stuff easier.

What do you think?  Mind if I "do a number" on makefile.vc and nmake.opt?