Should WMS require PROJ.4?

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at XS4ALL.NL
Sat Nov 27 13:20:51 EST 2004

Hi Frank,

AFAIK WMS also requires proj for reprojection. But a basic WMS could be
enabled if the following condition is met:

-all layers are in the same projection, and don't need to be reprojected
by the WMS (so the wms_srs METADATA can't include other values)

You could extend the wms_extent metadata with an SRS so that users can
specify the wms_extent in latlon themselves in the MAP file.

So I think it is possible but it would involve a lot of difficult,
unwanted checks for the MAP file. Or you should leave it up to the user to
make sure his MAP file is okay for (this very basic) WMS.

LatLonBoundingBox is required in WMS capabilities.

Best regards,
Bart