MapServer 4.4.0 released

Thomas E Burk teb at MALLIT.FR.UMN.EDU
Tue Nov 30 12:11:56 EST 2004

<http://umn.edu/mc/s?DIhhGOVs2$WYQjoCoP5@vooPxMqSwC0HC>
>Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:11:36 -0500
>From: Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at DMSOLUTIONS.CA>
>Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-DEV] MapServer 4.4.0 released
>To: MAPSERVER-DEV at LISTS.UMN.EDU
>
>Sean Gillies wrote:
>>
>> Are your release notes available at a URL from maptools.org?  I'd
>> like to point to it from my project site.
>>

>Not at the moment. The "What's new in 4.4" summary came from the Wiki
>page http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WhatsNew44
>
>I agree that it would be nice to have a copy of the summary and of the
>relevant parts of HISTORY.TXT on the website somewhere, perhaps in the
>downloads page if we don't have a better location.
>

>> Seems to me that the MapServer website should be promoting the new
>> release.  There are enough new features that
>>
>>   "Current version: 4.4.0"
>>
>> seems inadequate.
>>

>Agreed, but for that I think we need a real website team. Maintaining a
>website up to date is as demanding as developing software, maybe the
>switch to Plone will help that?
>
>BTW, does anyone know if there is a clear schedule for that Plone
>switch?  Maybe it would be simpler to just put up a new website
>somewhere else with a link to it from the main site?

Immediate. If someone with the "big picture" knowledge in hand of what to
highlight in 4.4.0 could write that up, we could get new text on the Web
site. Or we could just turn Daniel's bulleted list on the wiki into text
(I can take a stab but many others would do better). Or Steve Lime :>)
could create some text from the excellent PPT overview he gave at the Twin
Cities MapServer group meeting a couple weeks ago. Suggestions or
volunteers?

Plone. The hope is Plone will help with that. I reminded my sysadmin
yesterday that there are people waiting for the capability. It will happen
sooner rather than later now. I'd suggest it might therefore be better to
wait. On the other hand, please, everyone, understand, if you have
something specific to contribute to the Web site, send it and it will be
incorporated. Maybe we have never made that explicit?

Tom