[Mapserver-dev] FastCGI Progress

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 1 15:06:28 EDT 2004

Folks,

OK, Steve, Daniel and I "voted" to allow FastCGI into 4.3/4.4.  I think
Sean was supportive, though I didn't see any explicit vote cast.  There
were no votes against doing so.  I will take that as permission to go
ahead.

I will also presume to take this as permission to commit the new connection
pooling support, though support for that was somewhat more vague.

I will start committing this afternoon.  Please let me know of breakage.

I would add that folks writing stuff to stdout or stderr in code used by
mapserv.c with the intent of sending it back over the web should now use:

msIO_printf(),
msIO_fprintf()
msIO_fwrite()

instead of printf(), fprintf() and fwrite().  They should work the same an
be #defined the to stdio functions unless fast cgi is enabled.

I have changed WMS and mapserv.c.  I will be doing the same for WCS and WFS
as time permits me to test it.

I will document new requirements more as I go.  And thanks for your support.
I think FastCGI will prove a great asset to MapServer in some sorts of
deployments.