[Mapserver-dev] 4.4 release plan

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Oct 8 14:03:25 EDT 2004

Sean Gillies wrote:

> Only thing I'd like to add is that the #mapserver channel on freenode.net
> is a great collaborative resource for fixing bugs.  It's not quite like
> sitting down and sharing a keyboard and screen with another developer, but
> it's much more direct than email.

On this note, I wasn't very keen on using IRC in the early days, mostly
because I felt this could be very distracting and time consuming. After
spending a bit of time on the channel I have to admit my opinion has
changed.

I agree with Sean that IRC can be a great tool for developers to discuss
and solve issues faster than via email (e.g. bugs, build issues, etc.).
I will try to continue join the channel once in a while and hopefully
other developers can join as well. Note that I don't see the IRC channel
replacing the -dev list tough. I still think the -dev list should remain
the main channel for stuff that needs to reach all the developers.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca