[Mapserver-dev] Re: [Mapserver-docs] 4.4 release plan

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Oct 8 16:28:11 EDT 2004

Kari Geurts wrote:

> The documentation CVS will be branched by October 18^th at which time
> authors can commit their updated documents to the 4.4 branch. The MDP
> website and automatic update script will then be changed to reflect the
> 4.4 stable version and the main CVS branch will continue to be the
> development version.

Actually, October 18th is only the code freeze date. I'm not sure that
we should branch CVS right away since the betas will continue for
another 6 weeks or so after that.

We haven't discussed yet when we'll branch CVS on the software side, but
I think we should branch as late as possible. In the past we have always
waited until someone had some important new feature changes to commit
before branching. I'm not sure when that would happen for this release,
but I'm hoping that will be as late as possible to avoid having to apply
the same fixes in two branches all the time.

Maybe it's time to start planning for the CVS branching point? As I
wrote above, the earlier we branch, the more work we have to do to apply
bug fixes in multiple branches. For this reason my initial proposal
would be that we wait until the final release (around Nov. 29th) to
branch CVS for both docs and software unless someone already has
post-4.4 features waiting and would like the branch to be done earlier.

I'll add Nov 29th as the tentative date for CVS branching in the wiki.
If you would like to discuss an earlier date then please don't hesitate
to speak up.

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca