[Mapserver-dev] mapwms.c time support addition

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca
Tue Oct 12 12:01:25 EDT 2004

Assefa,

I noticed you added this when I checked out CVS -- yahoo!

I gave this a try, by adding "wms_timeextent" and "wms_timedefault" to
LAYER metadata in my mapfile.

So far so good.

When I issue
http://localhost/mswms?version=1.1.1&service=WMS&request=GetCapabilities
, one can see the Dimension and Extent elements, however the XML
document is no valid.  This is what comes back, relative to Dimension
and Extent:

<Dimension name="time" units="ISO8601">
<Extent name="time" default="some_timedefault" multipleValues="1"
nearestValue="0">some_timeextent</Extent>

Issues:

1./ Dimension should be a closed, empty element, i.e.:

<Dimension name="time" units="ISO8601"/>

2./ in Extent, @multipleValues is not a part of the WMS 1.1.1 DTD.
Extent should look like:

<Extent name="time" default="some_timedefault"
nearestValue="0">some_timeextent</Extent>

Committing these two changes results in a valid WMS 1.1.1
GetCapabilities response.  See below for DTD def summary:

Cheers

..Tom

http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.1.1/WMS_MS_Capabilities.dtd defines
Dimension and Extent as follows:

<!ELEMENT Dimension EMPTY >
<!ATTLIST Dimension
          name CDATA #REQUIRED
          units CDATA #REQUIRED
          unitSymbol CDATA #IMPLIED>

<!-- The Extent element indicates what _values_ along a dimension are
valid. -->
<!ELEMENT Extent (#PCDATA) >
<!ATTLIST Extent
          name CDATA #REQUIRED