[Mapserver-dev] Optimizing for ArcSDE

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 19 15:36:03 EDT 2004

> We could pool the streams to save this cost.  Since we only ever use one
> stream per connection, would it make sense to pool streams together with
> connections?  I was thinking we could create a new structure with both
> the sde->connection, and the stream, and we could pass this to the
> connection pooling API.  The msSDECloseConnection() callback function
> could be modified to close the stream, then the connection.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?  Would this approach work to save us
> from the stream overhead?  Do we even need a solution this complex, or
> is there something simple that could alleviate this overhead?
>
> Independent of streams, we are incurring about a 20ms cost in getting
> layer info.  Would it make sense to cache the layer infos?  The layer
> info probably shouldn't be cached with the connections.

Brock,

My take is that for SDE the "connection" we pool should include the stream
and possibly the layer info.  To make this work we will need to do some fiddling
to ensure the identifier (normally the CONNECTION string) is unique for different
versions, streams and/for layers.

Of course, I don't know much about SDE, so keep that in mind.