[Mapserver-dev] Optimizing for ArcSDE

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Oct 19 15:54:21 EDT 2004

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Of course, I don't know much about SDE, so keep that in mind.

se_stream_close() looks like it does what we want for intra-process
sharing, instead of se_stream_free()...

Usage syntax

LONG SE_stream_close
(SE_STREAM stream,
BOOL reset);
Parameters
stream 	The stream to close
reset 	A flag indicating whether to reset the stream
Description

SE_stream_close stops an actively running stream. If reset is TRUE, the
whole stream is reset as if it had just been created. If reset is FALSE,
the stream retains the following properties:

•  The list of spatial constraints

•  The destination logfile set by SE_stream_set_logfile

•  The buffered write mode previously set by SE_stream_set_write_mode
Returns

SE_SUCCESS
SE_CONNECTION_IN_USE
SE_CONNECTION_LOCKED
SE_INVALID_PARAM_VALUE
SE_NET_FAILURE
SE_SDE_NOT_STARTED
Notes

•  SE_stream_close is a convenience function for an application that is
done with a particular operation, and needs to start a second operation.
Rather than freeing the stream and creating a new one, the application
can close the current stream and initialize it for the next operation.

•  It is not necessary to close a stream before freeing it with
SE_stream_free . The SE_stream_free function shuts down the stream
before freeing its resources