[Mapserver-dev] FCGI & Database Failure

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Oct 19 16:35:33 EDT 2004

Now that we have FCGI, we have database connections that can persist for
quite a while.

This means that the issue of in-process database failure is no longer
one we can ignore.

So, for every connectiontype that is doing connection pooling, there
needs to be a test right after the connection is obtained from the pool
of "is this connection any good?". And then something useful has to be
done if it is not. What should that useful thing be?
(a) try to reestablish the connection?
(b) shut down the whole process and let someone else clean up the mess?
(c) punt on this layer, but let other layers try and finish their work?

This brings up the general case of database/layer failure, which is what
is the correct behavior in the case of failed data sources? Should we be
dying with prejudice, or trying to let the layers that *do* work finish
their jobs?

Paul