[Mapserver-dev] FCGI & Database Failure

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 19 23:24:43 EDT 2004

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Out of curiousity, what will happen *now* if we get a bad connection
> (for example, if one of the SDE calls returns bad, and we
> return(MS_FAILURE)). In CGI land, we are now dead, the process shuts
> down. Where are we in FCGI land?

Paul,

Tracing through the code, it appears failure in WMS (or other OWS modes)
results in an exception report being return either inimage or in XML and
then control returns to the main processing loop and we continue on to the
next request.

So, unless the low level code exits itself which we wouldn't want anyways,
the fastcgi process will live on even though it is potentially in a screwed
up state.  It might well make sense to change this aspect of the code to
terminate the fastcgi process in cases of errors in the hope that this would
help to cure in-process problems.  Or it might just be better for us to
try and keep things alive and working as well as we can (rerequesting
connections for instance).