[Mapserver-dev] IMPORTANT - host site for mapserver-dev to change

Ed Ed
Wed Oct 20 11:53:34 EDT 2004

Folks -

We should keep in mind that these lists are being maintained and managed for us at no charge, without any help from us.  Since I am sometimes in that situation myself, I try to remember that a system that is convenient, familiar, and available to the maintainer is worth a LOT and I'm more than willing to give up a theoretically ideal solution for one that works <g>.  It's very easy to point out various software packages that offer the features we want, but we should realize that it takes time and effort to install, learn, manage, and maintain those systems.

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
TopoZone.com

-----Original Message-----
From: mapserver-dev-admin at lists.gis.umn.edu [mailto:mapserver-dev-admin at lists.gis.umn.edu] On Behalf Of Jan-Oliver Wagner
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 11:00 AM
To: mapserver-dev at lists.gis.umn.edu
Subject: Re: [Mapserver-dev] IMPORTANT - host site for mapserver-dev to change

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 09:22:15AM -0500, Thomas E Burk wrote:
> >From: Jan-Oliver Wagner <jan at intevation.de> Why don't you
> >mass-subscribe those who are already on this list?
>
> That causes problems due to improperly configured e-mail systems on
> the users end. We want to have the subscribe/confirm reimplemented so
> the list operates smoothly.

doesn't this manage you mailing list application?
AFAIK, e.g. MailMan does take care of this situation.

> We have had many (vocal) complaints in the past that this exposes
> e-mail addresses to harvesters. Unfortuantely, the listserv software
> being used does not provide for global hiding of addresses in the archive it creates.
> There is a plan to create a separate archive, stripped of (or with
> modification of) addresses, that is searchable by anyone, anywhere.
> That is the change referred to in the earlier message.

A valid point! Still it is probably a bargain as long as no archiving system is used that obfuscates the email addresses (no, I can't name you one). From my side it does not matter to have harvesters collect the email address since it is already catched somewhere else and I have a spam filter.
So more imput from the users here is needed indeed.

An email-address-obfuscating copy of the archieve is probably the best solution if there are enough complaints.

Best

	Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/