[Mapserver-dev] Antialiasing State of Affairs

Titus von der Malsburg malsburg at cl.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Sep 9 08:38:08 EDT 2004

Hi,

yesterday I spend a hard time to figure out how antialiased rendering
with gd works in Mapserver (including: a lot of reading in mapdraw.c,
mapgd.c and friends).  Finally I got it working.  Now I have some
questions:

1.a) Since I get a lot of segfaults, I wonder how developed the
code may be.  Are there only a few minor bugs or is this cartoline stuff
more like a feasibility study?

1.b) Drawing antialiased lines works only for lines with a thickness of
one pixel.  Thicker lines look odd.  Is gd responsible for
that or is it due to deficiencies of the cartoline code?

2.a) Are there good reasons why one would want to have three
spereate techical concepts for lines (normal, dashed lines with symbols,
cartoline)?

2.b) Would it be a good idea to unify these?

3.) How much work would it be to
 * to make cartoline rendering stable,
 * to realize the unification of the line concepts?

4.) Is there anyone working on this currently?  Is there any interest in
these things at all?

Thanks,
	Titus