[Mapserver-dev] Antialiasing State of Affairs

Peter Freimuth pf at centera.de
Thu Sep 9 11:19:41 EDT 2004

Titus von der Malsburg schrieb:

>Hi,
>
>yesterday I spend a hard time to figure out how antialiased rendering
>with gd works in Mapserver (including: a lot of reading in mapdraw.c,
>mapgd.c and friends).  Finally I got it working.  Now I have some
>questions:
>
>1.a) Since I get a lot of segfaults, I wonder how developed the
>code may be.  Are there only a few minor bugs or is this cartoline stuff
>more like a feasibility study?
>
>1.b) Drawing antialiased lines works only for lines with a thickness of
>one pixel.  Thicker lines look odd.  Is gd responsible for
>that or is it due to deficiencies of the cartoline code?
>
>2.a) Are there good reasons why one would want to have three
>spereate techical concepts for lines (normal, dashed lines with symbols,
>cartoline)?
>
>2.b) Would it be a good idea to unify these?
>
>3.) How much work would it be to
> * to make cartoline rendering stable,
> * to realize the unification of the line concepts?
>
>4.) Is there anyone working on this currently?  Is there any interest in
>these things at all?
>

>Thanks,
>	Titus

Hey Titus,
these are realy good questions. We are currently working on the Symbol
on Lines stuff and noticed that there are a lot off different technical
concepts with different possibilities and supported parameters. There
are also some undocumented features like the -99 offset value. The
cartoline stuff is not called at all at the moment, because the
CARTOLINE Type  is not part of the offical documentation.Would be nice
to know, who have written all the cartoline stuff. So I believe, that
nobody  use it at the moment. Maybe some people of the devel crew.
We would also like to unify stuff but we don't now anything about the
devel roadmap for the cartographic features in mapserver. We (MapMedia
GmbH and CCGIS GbR) are in contact with Steve Lime, who seems to be the
leading developer for the cartograhic part in the mapserver project. He
is currently on holliday in brazil.
On the German UMN Mapserver-Users-Meeting in Hannover (14.09.2004) we
will discuss about the future needs in regard to mapservers cartographic
features and how the german user-group could push things forward in this
area by sponsering or own development.
Cheers,
Peter

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Peter Freimuth

Dipl.-Geogr. Peter Freimuth
Consulting, IT-Service, Softwarelösungen

Centera GmbH
Heilbronner Str.10
10711 Berlin
Tel. +49 (0)30 / 89 09 53 20