[Mapserver-dev] virtualising attribute data

Attila Csipa plists at prometheus.org.yu
Thu Sep 16 11:58:52 EDT 2004

I was thinking about the possibilities of virtualising attribute data for my
needs, meaning that for example a layer that has spatial data in a shapefile
has the attribute data in plain mysql (this is how it works in my prototype
test and happens to be the most requested feature that I got). Note that this
is _not_ the same as doing a join and not like using virtualspatialogr. I'd
like to hear if anyone has some ideas or thoughts on this. Obviously with
some layer types it is much harder or impossible to separate the spatial from
the attribute data, and the easiest route would be to perhaps make a
virtualxbase DBF handler, but this is not a universal solution even though
this is what I think the great majority of users would use it for - using
spatial data from SHP files with attributes from DBF/mysql/postgre/odbc/etc.