[Mapserver-dev] 4.4 release plan

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Sep 24 21:09:52 EDT 2004

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I'm planning to have some degree of FastCGI support working within a
> couple of weeks, but comprehensive support (within the limits of the
> project)
> wouldn't necessarily be done till the end of October.
>
> I will need to know pretty soon whether I should start committing bits of
> the FastCGI support in the development trunk pre-split or not.
>
> If you don't mind aiming for a feature freeze at the end of October, then
> I think it should be ok to include the fast cgi support otherwise I should
> hold it back.

Well, it's not only my decision: we need to see what's best for
everyone. I just know that if we don't initiate the release process at
some point then it will be another year before we release something, and
this is bad for those who are paying for new features and hence is bad
for MapServer general.

With respect to FastCGI, I realize that you need to make changes all
over the place, so I wouldn't want to force you to hold your changes for
too long since they may become hard to integrate back in the next dev
version... but at the same time I am worried that if you make all those
changes just before a release and don't leave enought time for testing
then we could end up with a flaky release, or could end up having to
delay the release over and over until all issues introduced by all those
changes are resolved. I'm not sure what's best.

Let's see how much work the others (Assefa and Steve mostly) have left
to do. Maybe we could branch within 1 week or two if the time and WCS
stuff done in time, and then you could start committing FastCGI stuff to
4.5 in early October. Is it an option at all for you to start the
FastCGI stuff only in a few weeks, after we branch 4.4?

  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca